This is the first post in the “Recipe of the Month” series. Spending money on ready-made food and ingredients can be one of the largest expenses in your budget. My household has the mainstays that are generally budget-friendly, tasty meals that don’t make you feel deprived in the slightest. My goal with this series is to share my cost-effective go-to recipes that couples and families will enjoy.
September 2017 – Recipe of the Month
Simple Yellow Chicken Curry
comfort food traditional to Asia, with essential ingredients such as curry powder and coconut milk.
Best time to enjoy – Spring, Fall, and Winter
Servings x 8
|Madras curry powder x 1**||$7.99|
|Coconut milk x 2 cans||$4.00|
|Chicken breast x 4||$15.00|
|Regular potatoes x 4 (medium-sized)||$4.00|
|Sweet potatoes x 3 (medium-sized)||$4.00|
|Onion x 1||$1.25|
|Dipping bread or rice||$6.50|
|INITIAL COST PER SERVING||$5.34|
|**one -time cost, will last a long time|
- Prep 20 minutes
- Cook 1 ½ – 2 hours
- Chop onion and raw chicken into bite-size pieces
- Season chicken with salt and pepper
- Chop potatoes into slightly larger pieces so that they do not fall apart during the cooking process
- Place onion and potatoes in medium to large pot on stove top under medium heat
- Pour in 1 ½ cups of water
- Pour in both cans of coconut milk
- Stir and let the pot heat up and begin cooking the ingredients, about 5-10 minutes
- Stir in the raw chicken
- Stir in 4 tablespoons of curry powder (adjust to taste)
- Add more water to cover ingredients, if needed
- Let the pot get to simmering, and then turn down to low-medium, place lid on the pot and let cook for 1 ½ – 2 hours (avoid a rolling boil)
- Ensure potatoes are cooked through prior to serving
- Add salt to taste
Serve with bread or over rice.
Enjoy, and share your thoughts if you try this recipe!
Want More Recipes?
+ Subscribe to get access to these recipes in a printable format
+ Access to the FTD resource library for subscribers - now available
+ Weekly updates so you never miss out!